The Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA) program provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents and spouses of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of veterans who died while active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.
Learn more about the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance program from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Spouse, children of a veteran and/or service member who meets at least one of the following requirements:
- Is determined to be permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes.
- Is on active duty and is likely to be discharged with a permanent and total disability.
- Died in service.
- Died of service connected causes.
- Is currently missing in action or captured in the line of duty.
- Apply for benefits online through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
- Veteran Affairs also has information about applying by mail or in-person, and you will need the following paperwork:
- Dependent's Application for VA Educational Assistance: VA Form 22-5490
Required Forms for UC Davis
- Submit the following documentation to the Office of the University Registrar through the OUR Veterans Portal:
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Copy of DD-214 (Member 4 Copy)
- Intake form
- Academic Plan Form (APF) - submitted every term
- If you used VA benefits at a prior institution, you are required to complete and return a VA form (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) to the UC Davis Veterans Success Center. Veterans use VA Form 22-1995.