The Office of the University Registrar (OUR) has developed a campus-wide evaluation process that will result in approved non-California Community College (CCC) transfer equivalencies being stored in the Student Information System (Banner) for use in degree audits and prerequisite checking during registration.
Please note that transfer equivalency decisions for non-California Community College (CCC) courses listed on the Transfer Equivalency Report should not be confused with the CCC articulation agreements that the Office of the President negotiates with all the CCC as system-wide decisions. Transfer equivalency (TE) decisions are campus decisions made by faculty experts in the area of study. These decisions allow students to use other college and university courses as equivalent courses for UCD degree purposes.
All official CCC articulation decisions can be found on ASSIST.org and are managed, for our campus, by the Undergraduate Office of Admissions.
Here is a comparison chart to note the differences between the process currently used by Undergraduate Admissions (UA) and the process that OUR uses for TE:
|Process||Undergraduate Admissions||Office of the University Registrar|
|Articulation vs. Equivalency||CCC Articulation||Non-CC Equivalency|
|Who Initiates Request Proposal?||
CCC or UA. Department may initiate the request to UA for review; however, UA begins the action with the CCC to obtain course outlines and send through the electronic tracker.
OUR, Department or Dean's Office
|How is Course information Sent?||Email (UA articulation tracking system)||
Transfer Equivalency Unit (TEU) form via email
|Campus Contacts||Christa Clark||
|Documentation||Course outline from CCC||
Catalog description and syllabus when possible
|Decisions Posted Where?||ASSIST.org||Transfer Equivalency Report|
Criteria for determining an equivalency:
- The course must have been deemed transferable by UGA.
- Subject content should be determined to be equivalent by the faculty expert or his/her delegate.
- For a course to be equivalent to a UC Davis course that contains General Education (GE) attributes, the non-UC Davis course must also include sufficient content to cover ALL the GE attributes assigned to the UC Davis course. If all the GE attribute content is not included in the non-UC Davis course then it cannot be approved to be equivalent.
- Equivalencies will be used in the Banner system beginning with the term indicated by the reviewer.
- The length of the review cycle must be indicated for each equivalency. The Transfer Equivalency Unit (TEU) in OUR will keep track of each course review cycle and contact the coordinator for updates at the proper time.
- The primary documentation provided for each review will be catalog descriptions and syllabi (when available).
Processes To Follow When Submitting A Request for Banner Entry:
- Advisor or departmental staff initiates transfer equivalency request.
- In some cases, the Transfer Equivalency Unit will initiate the request.
- This only applies to courses that have already been determined transferable by UGA.
- TEU sends an email with Transfer Equivalency Request form to the department representative. The form will be the official record of decision.
- Department representative returns the form to TEU with a decision.
- If equivalency is approved, TEU records the information in Banner. A reviewer will receive confirmation that the decision is recorded.
- Banner will house the decision and campus can access the Transfer Equivalency Report to identify which course is currently on the campus TE list.
Questions about the review process, existing equivalencies or general questions should be addressed to members of the Transfer Equivalency Unit.