Leave UC Davis

Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP)

The Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) allows any continuing undergraduate or graduate level student to temporarily suspend academic work at UC Davis.

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduates may take one PELP leave of up to one year during their academic career at UC Davis.

New undergraduate students should contact Undergraduate Admissions regarding deferral of their admission term before considering PELP. New undergraduate students may apply for PELP after the first day of instruction and through the 10th day of instruction.

Continuing undergraduate students can complete the PELP application.

Submit Your Application

The Undergraduate PELP Application is available each term starting with Pass One appointments and closes on the 10th day of instruction. Using your Kerberos ID and passphrase, complete the PELP webform.

Graduate Students

For graduate students, the maximum leave is up to one year.

New graduate students are not eligible for PELP during their first term of instruction and should contact their Graduate Program Advisor prior to the first day of instruction. Continuing graduate students apply for PELP through their Graduate Program.

Graduate Studies can provide additional assistance in the PELP process for graduate students.

Professional Students

New professional students should contact their professional school to defer their admission term. Continuing professional students apply through their professional school.

General Information

All students are subject to the Schedule of Refunds.

Completed applications for PELP may be filed as late as the 10th day of instruction during the quarter for which the student is requesting a leave. However, approved applications submitted after the first day of instruction result in a partial refund of fees paid or retraction of unpaid fees, in accordance with the Schedule of Refunds. The effective refund date is the date the PELP is submitted to the Office of the University Registrar and it is presumed that no university services are be provided after that date.

A non-refundable application fee of $70.00* is charged to the student's account when placed on PELP. The $70.00 fee is identical to the fee charged when a student withdraws and is required to submit a Readmission Application to return to the university.

* Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) eligible students are not required to pay the PELP application fee.

Students placed on PELP on or after the first day of instruction have a notation of this leave placed on their official transcript. 

Students returning from PELP are considered continuing students and readmission to the university is guaranteed. It is expected that students resume their regular academic work during the following or agreed-upon term and must satisfy any holds placed on their registration.

Graduate and Professional students may request extensions to or reductions of PELP. Such requests should be completed through their graduate department or their professional school Dean's office.

Undergraduate students must check Schedule Builder for their registration pass appointments and all students returning from PELP must register prior to the Registration Freeze. Failure to return is a break in registration and a Readmission Application and the readmission fee is required to return to the university.

Students are not eligible to enroll in concurrent courses through UC Continuing and Professional Education or earn academic credit at UC Davis during the time of their leave. Students who earn academic credit at other institutions to transfer that credit to UC Davis are subject to the rules concerning transfer credit. However, the intent of this program is to suspend academic work; students are encouraged to carefully evaluate the desirability of continuing any academic work during PELP.

International Students in F-1 or J-1 status. Students in F-1 or J-1 status must contact the Services for International Students & Scholars (SISS) office through iGlobal prior to or within 24 hours of submitting an online PELP form to prevent termination of their SEVIS record.

Financial Aid. Students who participate in the UC Davis Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP), cancel/withdraw or are dismissed from UC Davis at any time of the academic year may be required to repay financial aid. If loans were accepted as part of financial aid, the six-month grace period before having to repay loans is reduced by the amount of time on PELP or other leave from the university.

After completing the online PELP form, all student loan borrowers (e.g., Perkins, USL, Emil Mrak, etc.) must complete exit loan counseling with Student Accounting. Contact Student Accounting at 530-752-5870 with any questions. Students are required to update address(es) using SISWeb to ensure that important information can be delivered.

Students considering PELP should review their account balance and ensure that it is accurate and paid in full. Any credit balance may not be available for four-eight weeks after separation. For account balances, see MyBill

Davis SHIP coverage for students who submit a PELP application prior to the first day of the term terminates once the new term begins. More information regarding continued SHIP eligibility or a refund of SHIP fees is available from Davis SHIP, or call Insurance Services at Student Health & Counseling Services at 530-752-6055.

Any questions regarding canceling a housing contract should be directed to Student Housing; contact studenthousing@ucdavis.edu or call 530-752-2033.

During PELP, students are not considered active, and students are not eligible to receive university services with the following exceptions:

  • Student Employment Services. Consult Student Employment Services while on leave.
  • Advising & Counseling. Limited advising and counseling services at the Counseling Center are available to assist with the transition of leaving and returning to the university.
  • Library. A library card from Shields Library can be purchased for $10.00 per quarter. Borrowing privileges and online access are limited.
  • Activities & Recreation Center (ARC). During PELP, students are eligible to purchase a membership to the ARC. The student must bring a photo ID, documentation of PELP status, and a university-issued photo ID card in order to purchase a membership to participate in programs and gain entrance into the facility. All registration forms must be completely signed and filled out. PELP students fall under the “other student” classification and pay fees associated with that membership type.

Cancellation & Withdrawal

Cancellation/Withdrawal is the formal and official process that all students must use to notify the university that they no longer wish to continue their studies at UC Davis.

Academic Terms

Those who cancel/withdrawal from the university are no longer considered UC Davis students and will need to complete the Readmission process to return and continue their studies at the university. The amount of any refund or retraction of tuition and fees is determined by the calendar date the Cancellation/Withdrawal Form is received by the Office of the University Registrar, as described by the Schedule of Refunds.

It is critical for any student who attempted to drop all of their classes through Schedule Builder as a method to leave the university to immediately complete the Cancellation/Withdrawal Form. Failure to complete this form on the same day that they have dropped their classes may negatively impact any refund or Return to Title IV Aid.

The deadline to submit the online Cancellation/Withdrawal Form is the last day of instruction, and a notation of the separation will be indicated on the official transcript. Notations are not placed on a student’s transcript if a student cancels prior to the first day of instruction.

Students wishing to withdraw from a term after the last day of instruction, need to submit a Retroactive Withdrawal petition. This process does not remove you from the university.

Newly Admitted Students. If you wish to cancel/withdrawal prior to the first day of instruction, you must do so using MyAdmissions.

The nonrefundable $250 deposit, paid when you accepted admission and returned your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR), is withheld from tuition and the Schedule of Refunds is applied to the balance of tuition and student fees assessed. Therefore, on or before the first day of instruction, tuition and student fees paid are refunded in full minus $250. After the first day of instruction, the nonrefundable $250 deposit is withheld from tuition and the Schedule of Refunds is applied to the balance of tuition and student fees assessed.

International Students. With the exception of continuing students attending summer session(s), students in F-1 or J-1 status must contact the Services for International Students & Scholars (SISS) office through iGlobal prior to or within 24 hours of submitting an online Cancellation/Withdrawal form to prevent immediate termination of their SEVIS record.

Summer Sessions

Students that cancel/withdrawal from Summer Sessions are still considered UC Davis students; this action does not impact fall enrollment status or registration. The Schedule of Refunds does not apply to Summer Sessions. A Cancellation/Withdrawal form must be received by the deadline for each session as posted on the Summer Sessions calendar.


The Cancellation/Withdrawal form is available each term starting with Pass One Appointments and closes on the last day of instruction. 

Online: Using your Kerberos ID and passphrase, complete the Cancellation/Withdrawal webform.

Administrative Withdrawals

Entry Level Writing Requirement

The University of California requires every undergraduate student to demonstrate college-level proficiency in English composition. Satisfaction of the Entry Level Writing Requirement is a prerequisite to all other undergraduate courses in English. If the requirement has not been satisfied by the end of your third quarter, and you were not required to take courses for non-native speakers of English in the Linguistics program, you may be disenrolled from the University. For further information, see the Entry Level Writing Requirement.


A student will be placed on probation or subject to disqualification for failure to meet qualitative or quantitative standards of scholarship. Students should go to their college Dean’s office for information and academic advising regarding probation and dismissal.

Dismissal for either qualitative or quantitative reasons is the decision of the college Dean. Such dismissal is from the University of California system and not simply the college or the UC Davis campus. Dismissed students will automatically receive a full refund of tuition and fees for the term.

Students who have been dismissed but wish to be readmitted to the UC Davis campus must complete an Undergraduate Readmission Application and any contractual agreement made with the college.

Office of Student Support & Judicial Affairs

The Office of Student Support & Judicial Affairs (OSSJA) may notify the Office of the University Registrar to administratively withdraw a student due to disciplinary action. Administrative withdrawals are subject to the Schedule of Refunds as determined by the date the notification is received from OSSJA. For more information, see OSSJA.

Drop for Non-Payment

Drop for Non-Payment occurs for both undergraduate and graduate students who do not pay their fees by the published deadlines.

Students who no longer wish to remain enrolled in classes for the term must complete a Cancellation/Withdrawal form. They should not use or expect the drop for non-payment process to remove them from their classes, or release them from their financial responsibility and obligations for the term.

Break in Registration & Enrollment

If, at any time, you do not register for an active term, do not submit a Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) form, or do not return from PELP in the approved term, it is considered a break in registration and enrollment, and you are no longer considered a continuing student. If you wish to return to the university after a break in registration and enrollment, you must submit a Readmission Application.