Filing Periods and Deadlines
If you are a continuing UC Davis student classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes in a prior term and you believe you now meet the requirements and wish to be classified as a California resident, you must file an online Petition for Classification to Resident Status during the published filing period for the applicable term.
Late petitions will not be accepted. Deadline exceptions will only be considered in the cases of a documented medical illness, death in the immediate family, or an administrative error on the part of the university. See Processes and Important Dates for the petition Filing Periods and Deadline dates.
Accommodations: To request a reasonable accommodation for a disability when completing either a Statement of Legal Residence or a Petition for Classification to Resident contact a Residence Deputy at:
Office of the University Registrar
3100 Dutton Hall
One Shields Ave
Davis, CA 95616
530-752-4749 or 530-752-5029
Students deemed to be in the state solely for educational purposes are not eligible for resident status regardless of the length of stay in California. The residence requirements are summarized on this website under Who Is a Resident?
Student Fees and Pending Petitions
You are responsible for payment of assessed student fees by the Student Fee Payment Deadline, even if a decision on your Petition for Classification is still pending. If your residence status changes after payment of fees, you will be refunded any overpayment.
When will I be notified of a decision on my Petition?
You will receive an email at your UC Davis email address within five-six weeks from the date our office receives your petition with required documentation. You will be notified of the decision or if further documents are needed. We cannot process your petition until all documents are submitted. See Required Supporting Documents, below.
Filing Instructions—Petition for Classification to Resident
To petition for resident classification, follow all of these instructions.
- First Day of Instruction. You must file your online Petition for Classification to Resident Status during the filing period, and no later than the First Day of Instruction for the quarter that you are claiming resident status. This deadline also pertains to students on the semester system.
- Submit Petition Online. Complete the online Petition for Classification to Resident Status.
- Confirmation Number. The confirmation number of your Petition for Classification appears in the Confirmation Notice sent to your UC Davis email address after you submit your petition online. Save the Confirmation Notice for your future reference and as proof that you filed your petition.
- Document List in the Confirmation Email. All supporting documents must be uploaded to your petition for processing using the links provided in the Confirmation Notice. Upload all required supporting documents by following the instructions provided in your confirmation email. Petitions submitted with incomplete documentation will not be reviewed.
- UC Davis Email Notices. Check your UC Davis Email account regularly for notices regarding your Petition from the Residence Deputy.
- Check Petition Status Online. You may check the status of your petition online anytime. See Registrar Forms and Application Status.
Petitions submitted without all of the documents are considered Incomplete. Incomplete petitions will not be processed and will be closed. Additional documents will not be accepted after the 12th day of instruction unless you have requested an extension from a Residence Deputy.
A determination of your residence status will be based on the information available to Residence Deputies. Students are responsible for submitting all relevant documentation and information to a campus Residence Deputy in support of their residence statement, petition or exemption application. Information or documents requested but not made available to the Residence Deputy will generally not be considered. Personally-sensitive information may be removed. Social Security Numbers must be removed from all documents submitted.
You will be required to provide supporting documents to complete your petition. To be accepted for review by a Residence Deputy, your Petition must have ALL the required documents. If you are under 24 years old and your parents are new to California, you must also provide the same documents for each living parent.
Supporting Documents must:
- Identify you (or your parents) by name.
- Have Social Security Numbers removed from ALL documents.
Presence and Absences from California
All Students must verify their physical presence in California during periods of non-attendance for the past full year, including the summer and other nonacademic periods, and provide a signed statement, describing the exact dates of any absences from California during the past year, including the nature or purpose of each absence. Verifying documents can include:
- Employment Letters from employers indicated exact dates and location of employment (paid or unpaid.)
- Bank Statement Documents showing bank transaction activities with dates and locations.
- Letters from UC Davis Departments indicating the exact dates of any academic related absences during Planned Educational Leaves or summer for research, internships, field work, etc.
Intent—Legal Ties to California
All Students must verify all legal ties to California established during the past full year, including:
- Tax Returns, W2s filed and received during the past tax year.
- Driver Licenses, Vehicle Registrations.
- State ID Cards.
- Voter Registration Records.
- Eligibility for State Benefits.
- Professional Licenses.
Graduate Students—Under 24 Years Old
Employed by UCD:
If you are employed or funded by a UC Davis Department for the applicable term, you must provide proof of UC Davis Employment or Funding:
- Department Offer Letter showing specific amounts awarded to you and your acceptance response.
- Payroll and Personnel Summary of Hire or Rehire (IDOC) showing your UC Davis positions, employment dates and salary.
Not Employed by UCD:
If you are neither employed nor funded by a UCD Department for the applicable term, you must provide:
- A copy of your Parents’ State and Federal Tax Returns for the last Tax Year. State Return—All Pages, Federal Return—Pages 1 and 2 only and
- A signed statement from your parents stating whether they plan to claim you as a dependent when they file their returns for the current tax year.
Note: Parent Tax Documents. These tax documents are requested in order to comply with the UC Residence Policy and Guidelines. The parent may redact any information on the return that they do not wish to provide. Social Security Numbers must be removed from all copies submitted.
Non-Citizens—International Students and All Other Noncitizens
Non-Citizens must show evidence of their history of immigration and any non-immigrant visas held during the entire 366 days immediately prior to the quarter resident status is claimed. Non-Citizens must provide all of the following with their petition. Students under age 24 must also provide the same evidence for their non-citizen parent(s):
- Proof of approved immigration status (Permanent Residence card/Green card),
- Proof of any pending immigration status—Notices of Action,
- A copy of any current and prior Employment Authorization Cards,
- A copy of any current and prior Non-immigrant Visa and I-94 Departure Records.
U.S. Military Members and Veterans
Active Duty Military Members must also provide:
- A copy of their most recent Orders and
- A copy of their most recent Leave & Earnings Statement (LES).
Veterans must also provide a copy of their Discharge Orders (DD214).