AB 540 (Assembly Bill)

California High-School Graduates (AB 540) (Ed. Code §68130.5)

A student who attended a high school in California for three or more years and who graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent) will be exempt from paying nonresident supplemental tuition until she or he meets the University of California residence requirements.

Eligibility Requirements

The student must have:

  1. Attended a high school in California for three or more years and graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent), and
  2. Enrolled at or registered to enroll at a University of California campus after January 1, 2002, and
  3. Must not be a nonimmigrant as defined by federal immigration law, and
  4. Must complete an affidavit stating that if they do not have a lawful immigration status, they have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or will file such an application as soon as they are eligible to do so.

This exemption is available to undergraduate, graduate and professional students. A student who meets the qualifications listed above will remain a nonresident for tuition purposes, but will not be assessed nonresident supplemental tuition.

High School History

Enrollment in the 9th grade, whether at a middle school or high school, does count toward the California high-school attendance criterion.

The three required years in a California high school do not have to be consecutive.

Home-schooled students are eligible only if they were home-schooled by a person holding a valid California teaching credential.

Private Internet high schools and other long-distance learning or correspondence schools do not meet the requirements unless the student can verify that he “attended” and graduated from an Internet high school while domiciled continuously in California per UC residence regulations.

High School Verification

Three-year attendance is verified only by official high school transcripts.

Proof of “graduation” can include any of the following:

  • Graduation Date on the Official High School Transcript.
  • A diploma from a California high school.
  • A High School Equivalency Certificate, issued by the California State GED Office.
  • A Certificate of Proficiency, resulting from a California High School Proficiency Examination.

Not a Nonimmigrant

Non-immigrants, as defined by federal law, have been admitted to the United States temporarily and may have been granted one of the following visas: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, TN, TD, V, TROV, and NATO

Students who may answer "Yes" to the application question "I am Not a Nonimmigrant" include:

  • US Citizens.
  • Lawful Permanent Residents (Green Card).
  • Has filed an application to legalize immigration status or will file such an application as soon as eligible to do so.

T or U Visa Students

Students who have obtained a T or U nonimmigrant visa and otherwise would meet the requirements of Section 68130.5 shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the University until they are eligible to establish a resident classification pursuant to Regents Policy 3401.

AB540 Resources from the UC Office of the President−Student Affairs

Visit the UC Student Affairs Office website to read questions, answers and contacts for more information about the University of California Tuition Exemption (AB 540).