P/NP or S/U Grading Options

The Office of the University Registrar is conducting business by phone & virtually.

Call 530-752-3639, M-F, 10 a.m.-4 p.m (PT)  Order official electronic UC Davis Transcripts  Need help? Contact an Expert 

Please allow for extended response times.
Thank you for visiting the Office of the University Registrar and for your ongoing patience & understanding during this unprecedented time!

Students may choose to take a letter-graded course on a Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading basis by selecting the P/NP or S/U grading option for the course using Schedule Builder by the 25th day of instruction.

Note: An undergraduate student in good academic standing may request to take specific courses on a P/NP basis and is subject to regulation by the faculties of the colleges and schools. Undergraduates should contact their college Dean's office for information regarding the requirements or restrictions of their particular college.  Undergraduate students may not change a course to a P/NP grading option if they previously enrolled in the course for a letter grade. College of Engineering students need to contact the College of Engineering for authorization to take a course on a P/NP basis. Graduate students need to contact Graduate Studies, which may have conditions or restrictions in addition to the university requirements.

On or Before 25th Day of Instruction

Undergraduate Students

To opt for P/NP, or revert back to letter grading, use Schedule Builder:

  1. From calendar view, select the course or from list view, and then find the course.
  2. Select Edit next to Letter or P/NP grading.
  3. Select appropriate Letter grading or Optional Pass/No-Pass.
  4. Select the checkmark to submit changes.

Note: Undergraduate Students are not able to change the grading option for courses with a repeat limit restriction. To change the grading option for a repeatable course with repeat limits, students must submit an Undergraduate Course Change Form.

Graduate Students

With the approval of the graduate advisor and the Dean of the Office of Graduate Studies, a student may petition to take one letter-graded course per quarter on an S/U basis, provided the course is exploratory and in an area unrelated to the academic discipline. The course cannot be used to fulfill any of the student’s graduate program course requirements; the course may be used to fulfill unit requirements.

  1. A graduate advisor with signature authority must sign the Grading Option Change Petition.
  2. Take the form to Graduate Studies for Dean’s approval and signature.
  3. Submit the completed form to the Office of the University Registrar. 

To change the grading option of a course after the 25th Day of Instruction, see Late Actions.