Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP)

The Office of the University Registrar is conducting business by phone & virtually.

Call 530-752-3639, M-F, 10 a.m.-4 p.m (PT)  Order official electronic UC Davis Transcripts  Need help? Contact an Expert 

Please allow for extended response times.
Thank you for visiting the Office of the University Registrar and for your ongoing patience & understanding during this unprecedented time!


The Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) allows any continuing undergraduate or graduate level student to temporarily suspend academic work at UC Davis. Undergraduates may take one such leave during their academic career at UC Davis and that leave is limited to one-quarter in duration. For graduate students, the maximum leave is up to one year.

New undergraduate students should contact Undergraduate Admissions regarding deferral of their admission term before considering PELP. Only on or after the first day of instruction and through the 10th day of instruction may new undergraduate students apply for PELP. New graduate students are not eligible for PELP during their first term of instruction and should contact the Graduate Program Staff Coordinator in the Graduate Program prior to the first day of instruction. Graduate Studies can provide additional assistance. New professional students should contact the professional school to defer their admission term. All students are subject to the Schedule of Refunds.

Undergraduates apply for PELP online directly with the Office of the University Registrar. Graduate students apply through their Graduate Program Staff Coordinator and should allow additional processing time in order to obtain Graduate Adviser and Graduate Studies approval. Professional students apply through their professional school.

Completed applications for PELP may be filed as late as the 10th day of instruction during the quarter for which the student is requesting a leave. However, approved applications submitted after the first day of instruction result in a partial refund of fees paid or retraction of unpaid fees, in accordance with the Schedule of Refunds. The effective refund date is the date the PELP is submitted to the Office of the University Registrar and it is presumed that no university services are be provided after that date.

A non-refundable application fee of $70.00* is charged to the student's account when placed on PELP. The $70.00 fee is identical to the fee charged when a student withdraws and is required to submit a Readmission Application to return to the university.

* Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) eligible students are not required to pay the PELP application fee.

Students placed on PELP prior to, on, or after the first day of instruction have a notation of this leave placed on their official transcript. 

Students returning from PELP are considered continuing students and readmission to the university is guaranteed. It is expected that students resume their regular academic work during the following or agreed-upon term and must satisfy any holds placed on their registration. Only Graduate and Professional students may request extensions to or reductions of PELP. Such requests should be completed through the graduate department or the professional school Dean's office.

Undergraduate students must check Schedule Builder for their registration pass appointments and all students returning from PELP must register prior to the Registration Freeze. Failure to return is a break in registration and a Readmission Application and the readmission fee is required to return to the university.

With the exception of the Sierra Institute, students are not eligible to enroll in concurrent courses through UC Davis Extension or earn academic credit at UC Davis during the time of their leave. Students who earn academic credit at other institutions to transfer that credit to UC Davis are subject to the rules concerning transfer credit. However, the intent of this program is to suspend academic work; students are encouraged to carefully evaluate the desirability of continuing any academic work during PELP.

International Students in F-1 or J-1 status. Students in F-1 or J-1 status must contact Services for International Students & Scholars (SISS) office through iGlobal prior to or within 24 hours of submitting an online PELP form to prevent termination of the SEVIS record.  

From Financial Aid. Students who participate in the UC Davis Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP), cancel/withdraw or are dismissed from UC Davis at any time of the academic year may be required to repay financial aid. If loans were accepted as part of financial aid, the six-month grace period before having to repay loans is reduced by the amount of time on PELP or other leave from the university.

After completing the online PELP form, all student loan borrowers (e.g., Perkins, USL, Emil Mrak, etc.) must complete exit loan counseling with Student Accounting. Contact Student Accounting at 530-752-5870 with any questions and students are required to update address(es) using SISWeb to ensure that important information can be delivered.

Students considering PELP should review their account balance and ensure that it is accurate and paid in full. Any credit balance may not be available for four-eight weeks after separation. For account balances, see MyBill or Contact an Expert by email.

Davis SHIP coverage for students who submit a PELP application with the Office of the University Registrar prior to the first day of the term terminates once the new term begins.  More information regarding continued SHIP eligibility or a refund of SHIP fees is available from Davis SHIP, or call Insurance Services at Student Health & Counseling Services at 530-752-6055.

Any questions regarding canceling a housing contract should be directed to Student Housing; contact or call 530-752-2033.

During PELP, students are not considered active, and students are not eligible to receive university services with the following exceptions:

  • Student Employment Services. consult Student Employment Services while on leave.
  • Advising and Counseling. limited advising and counseling services at the Counseling Center are available to assist the transition leaving and return to the university.
  • Library. a library card from Shields Library can be purchased for $12.50 per quarter. Borrowing privileges and online access are limited.
  • Activities and Recreation Center (ARC). Students who are participating in the Planned Educational Leave Program are eligible to purchase a membership to the ARC. The student must bring a photo ID, documentation of PELP status, and a university-issued photo ID card in order to purchase a membership to participate in programs and gain entrance into the facility. All registration forms must be completely signed and filled out. PELP students fall under the “other student” classification and pay fees associated with that membership type.