Filing to Graduate

File to Graduate for Fall 2019! Aug 1-Sep 13, 2019.

All times are pacific time (PT). Dates & times subject to change without notice.

Undergraduate Students

To file for graduation, undergraduate students must complete the Online Graduation Application. Students who wish to file to graduate but have been separated from the University for at least three months must contact the Office of the University Registrar.

To provide evidence of graduation and the completion of the degree requirements prior to the formal degree posting to the student record, please refer to the Education Verifications web page.

Graduation Calendar

Undergraduate students must file their graduation application by the appropriate deadline for the quarter in which they are filing to graduate. Late applications for graduation are not accepted. The application deadlines are as follows:

Winter Quarter 2019

  • Graduation Filing Period: 11/8-12/7/2018
  • Graduation Cancellation Deadline: 3/15/2019
  • Graduation Date: 3/22/2019
  • Degree Posting (a.k.a. Degree Awarded): Late May 2019
  • Diploma Distribution: Late July 2019

Spring Quarter 2019

  • Graduation Filing Period: 2/1-3/15/2019
  • Graduation Cancellation Deadline: 7/11/2019
  • Graduation Date: 6/13/2019
  • Degree Posting (a.k.a. Degree Awarded): Late August 2019
  • Diploma Distribution: Late October 2019

Summer 2019

  • Graduation Filing Period: 5/31-7/26/2019
  • Graduation Cancellation Deadline: 9/13/2019
  • Graduation Date: 9/13/2019
  • Degree Posting (a.k.a. Degree Awarded): Late October 2019
  • Diploma Distribution: Late December 2019

Fall Quarter 2019

  • Graduation Filing Period: 8/1-9/13/2019
  • Graduation Cancellation Deadline: 12/6/2019
  • Graduation Date: 12/13/2019
  • Degree Posting (a.k.a. Degree Awarded): Late February 2020
  • Diploma Distribution: Late April 2020


  • Graduation Date. The official graduation date as it will appear on the academic record.
  • Degree Posting (Awarded) Date. The day your degree is posted (awarded) to your academic record.
  • Diploma Distribution Date. The date your diploma is available for pick-up or mailing.

Note on Minors. Minors are not added to student records until approximately a month after the student's graduation date; after their graduation is approved by the dean's office. Do not wait for your minor to show up on your record before filing to graduate. Add the minor in your application, it will be added to your record later. 

Graduation Checklist

  • Submit Online Graduation Application.
  • Contact your college Dean's office to file for participation in the commencement ceremony.
  • File a minor declaration petition with the appropriate college Dean's office by their respective deadline.
  • If you need to declare a change of major, submit your major change petition your college Dean's office at least one quarter prior to the quarter in which you filed to graduate. 
  • See a major advisor to confirm your major requirements are satisfied.
  • Request a degree check from the appropriate dean's office to evaluate university and college requirements at least two quarters prior to graduation.
  • Verify transcripts for all transfer coursework has been submitted to Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation.

Note: This is not an inclusive list. For more detailed information, contact your college:

Canceling Graduation After You Have Filed

If you need to cancel your application for graduation, return to the Online Graduation Application and select the option to cancel your application.

Commencement Participation

Undergraduates must register to participate in commencement. For commencement eligibility and registration information, visit the Commencement website.

All undergraduate students are required to file and complete the Online Graduation Application to be considered a candidate for graduation. In addition to filing for graduation, students will also want to register to participate in the commencement ceremony.

Graduate Students

Graduate students must contact Graduate Studies for candidacy information regarding filing fee deadlines for Masters and Doctoral Students. Information for degree candidates is available at:

For further information, contact Graduate Studies.

Professional Program Students

Professional program students must contact their program office for information regarding candidacy information: