Statement of Legal Residence Instructions

Preparing to Complete the Statement of Legal Residence


To request reasonable accommodation for a disability when completing your Statement of Legal Residence contact a Residence Deputy at:

Office of the University Registrar
3100 Dutton Hall
One Shields Ave
Davis, CA 95616
530-752-4749 or 530-752-5029

Will I need to provide documentation with my Statement of Legal Residence?

Many students are not required to provide supporting documentation.

Please be advised that your Statement of Legal Residence may be selected for verification of the information you provided. Supporting documentation may be requested.

If you are under the age of 24, you may need to consult with your parents to provide answers to the questions posed in the parent information section.

Approximate dates are acceptable for legal ties; for example, driver’s license original issue date.

Special Parent Circumstances

If you are unable to provide information about your parents, you will be asked to provide an explanation within the Statement of Legal Residence. For further information regarding this topic please refer to Special Parent Circumstances.

What if I and/or my parent(s) are Noncitizens?

Verification of immigration status, such as Permanent Resident cards, pending/prior status and Non-immigrant visas and I-94 arrival forms will be required for you and/or your parents. Have these immigration documents available for your reference. You will be asked to upload scanned copies of these documents after submission of your Statement of Legal Residence.

Supporting documentation is required for students requesting consideration for an exception or exemption from non-resident supplemental tuition.

Residence for Purposes of tuition

Determination of your residence status for purposes of tuition will be based on the information made available to Residence Deputies. Students are responsible for submitting all relevant documentation and information requested in support of their residence claim. Information or documents requested but not made available will generally not be considered. 

Students are directly accountable for the accuracy of their residence information.

Students must sign the Statement of Legal Residence under oath and, if further information is required, it may be necessary to provide their signature under oath, by declaration or affidavit. If completed online, an additional handwritten signature may be required signed under penalty of perjury or in the presence of a notary public.

Incorrect Classification: Students who were incorrectly classified as a resident based on inaccurate information are subject to a nonresident classification and to payment of all Nonresident Supplemental Tuition not paid. If students concealed information or furnished false information and were classified incorrectly as a result, they are also subject to University discipline.

Changes in Resident status: Any student who is classified as a resident for purposes of tuition and fees but becomes a nonresident by virtue of his own acts or by the acts of the person from whom his residence is derived is obligated to notify a Residence Deputy immediately so his residence classification can be adjusted accordingly. For example:

  • Non-Citizens whose immigration status is terminated or denied.
  • Non-Citizens whose nonimmigrant visa expires or changes to a visa that is ineligible under UC Residence Policy.
  • Students granted a limited exemption from nonresident tuition whose exemption ends.
  • Students whose exemption depends on continuous enrollment who are no longer enrolled
  • Students whose exemption is dependent on the status of a spouse or parent whose status changes.

A student who is classified as a nonresident will retain that status until he applies for and receives a resident classification. A nonresident student may petition for a resident classification each term.

Below is a list of supporting documentation that you may be asked to provide:

  • Driver’s Licenses/ID Cards
  • Tax Returns
  • Vehicle, Voter or Selective Service Registration
  • California State social benefits eligibility
  • Employment or housing verification
  • Bank statements
  • Military Orders, Leave and Earnings Statement, or Discharge Orders (DD214) 

Nonresident Supplemental Tuition Exemption Application (AB540)

To apply for the AB 540 Exemption from Nonresident Supplemental Tuition you are required to mail an official high school transcript including your graduation date to our office. If you have not yet graduated, please do not mail your transcript until your graduation date has been officially recorded by your high school.

If you are not currently a resident, but attended three years of high school in California and graduated from a California high school, you may apply for the AB 540 exemption from Nonresident Supplemental Tuition by submitting a UC Nonresident Supplemental Tuition Exemption Form after completing the Statement of Legal Residence. 

Graduate and Professional Students under the age of 24

Meeting the Financial Independence Requirement. You may be asked to verify your UC Davis employment/fellowship compensation details for the quarter you claim resident status by providing a copy of your Admissions offer letter. If you are not employed by UC Davis, you may be asked for a copy of your parent’s Federal tax return for the most recent tax year.