Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP)


The deadline is the 10th day of instruction for each term.

The Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) allows any continuing registered student-undergraduate or graduate-to temporarily suspend academic work at UC Davis. Undergraduates may take one such leave during their academic career at UC Davis and that leave is limited to one quarter in duration. For graduate students the maximum leave is up to one year. Undergraduates apply for PELP through the Office of the University Registrar. Graduate students apply through their departments and professional students apply through their Professional Schools.

New students may not apply for PELP for their first term, before the first day of instruction. Before the first day of instruction, undergraduate students should contact Undergraduate Admissions regarding deferral of their admission term. On the first day of instruction, until the 10th day of instruction deadline, new undergraduate students may apply for PELP. However, starting on the first day of instruction, all students are subject to the Schedule of Refunds.

New Graduate students should contact the Office of Graduate Studies to defer their admission term.

Readmission is guaranteed assuming you resume regular academic work on the agreed-upon return date and satisfy any holds on your registration. You are considered a continuing student following your PELP. It is your responsibility to check Schedule Builder for your registration pass times and register during the appropriate times. If you fail to return on the agreed-upon date, you will be automatically withdrawn from the university.

Applications for PELP may be filed as late as the 10th day of instruction during the quarter for which the student is requesting a leave. However, approved applications submitted after the first day of instruction will entitle you to only a partial refund of fees paid or retraction of unpaid fees, in accordance with the Schedule of Refunds.

The deadline to submit the online PELP Form is the 10th day of instruction and a notation of the separation will be indicated on the official transcript.  Notations are not placed on a student’s transcript if a student PELPS prior to the first day of instruction.

A non-refundable application fee of $70.00* is charged to your account when you enroll in the PELP program. This fee is identical to that paid by a student who withdraws and is required to pay a readmission fee. After completing the online PELP Form, students owing student loans must file an exit form with Student Accounting. Graduate students complete the PELP process with the graduate staff person in their department. Only Graduate and Professional students may request extensions to or reductions of leaves. Such requests should be completed through your department for graduate students and your dean for professional students.

* Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) eligible students are not required to pay the application fee.

The effective refund date is the date the PELP is submitted online and it is presumed that no university services will be provided to you after that date.

You are not eligible to enroll in concurrent courses through UC Davis Extension, except for the Sierra Institute, nor can you earn academic credit at UC Davis during the time of your leave. You may earn academic credit at other institutions and transfer that credit to UC Davis subject to rules concerning transfer credit. However, the intent of this program is to suspend academic work, and you are encouraged to carefully evaluate the desirability of continuing any academic work during your PELP.

International Students in F-1 or J-1 status:  Removing yourself from full-time status may negatively impact F-1 or J-1 students' immigration status.  Students in F-1 or J-1 status should receive guidance from the Services for International Students & Scholars (SISS) office prior to applying for PELP status.

From Financial Aid: If you participate in the UC Davis Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP), withdraw from school, leave school, or are dismissed from UC Davis for any portion of the academic year, you may be required to repay financial aid. If you accept loans as part of your financial aid, your grace period, which is the six months you are given after you leave school until you must begin repaying your loans, will be reduced by the amount of time you are on leave.

If you have received an institutional loan (e.g., Perkins, USL, Emil Mrak, etc.) while attending UC Davis, please complete a mandatory online exit session. If you have any questions, call Student Accounting at 530-752-5870. Please be sure to update your address(es) so that important information will reach you. Use MyBill to update your address(es).

Please review your account balance to be sure it is accurate and paid in full. A specific amount due may not be available for four-eight weeks after separation. For account balances, go to MyBill or Contact an Expert by email.

Davis SHIP coverage for students who submit a PELP application with the Office of the University Registrar prior to the start of the term will terminate once the new term begins.  More information regarding continued SHIP eligibility or a refund of SHIP fees is available from Davis SHIP, or call Insurance Services at Student Health & Counseling Services 530-752-6055.

Any questions regarding canceling your housing contract should be directed to Student Housing; contact or call 530-752-2033.

If you enroll in the PELP program, you are not considered a regular student during the time of your leave and are not eligible to receive normal university services with the following exceptions:

  • Student Employment Services: You may consult Student Employment Services while on leave.
  • Advising and Counseling: You may receive limited advising and counseling services at the Counseling Center to assist you in your transition from the university.
  • Library: You may purchase a library card from Shields Library for $12.50 per quarter. Borrowing privileges and online access are limited.
  • Activities and Recreation Center (ARC): Students who are registered with the university under the Planned Educational Leave Program are eligible to purchase a membership to the ARC. The student must bring a photo ID, documentation of PELP status, and a university issued photo ID card in order to purchase a membership to participate in programs and gain entrance into the facility. All registration forms must be completely signed and filled out. PELP students fall under the “other student” classification and pay fees associated with that membership type.


The PELP Application is available each term starting with Pass 1 Appointments and closes on the 10th day of instruction

Online: using your Kerberos ID and passphrase, complete the PELP webform.

If you do not have an active UC Davis computing services account, Contact an Expert in the Office of the University Registrar.