UC Residence Rules for Minors

University of California Residence Policy and Guidelines include specific rules for determining the residence of minors.

The general rules applying to minors specify that if you are an unmarried minor (under age 18), the residence of the parent with whom you live is considered to be your residence. If you have a parent living, you cannot change your residence by your own act, by the appointment of a legal guardian, or by the relinquishment of your parent's right of control.

If you live with neither parent, your residence is that of the parent with whom you last lived.

Unless you are a minor alien present in the United States under the terms of a nonimmigrant visa which precludes you from establishing your own domicile in the United States, you may establish your own residence when both your parents are deceased and a legal guardian has not been appointed.

If you derive California residence from a parent, that parent must meet the University’s requirements for residence for tuition purposes.

Residence Rules for Minors

You may be able to derive California resident status from a California resident parent if you move to California to live with that parent on or before your 18th birthday. If you begin residing with your California parent after your 18th birthday, you will be treated like any other adult coming to California to establish residence. See Dependent Child of a California Resident on this site under Exceptions from Nonresident Supplemental Tuition.

Minors Whose Parent Moves From California

You may be entitled to resident status if you are a minor U.S. citizen or eligible alien whose parent(s) was a resident of California who left the state within one year of the Residence Determination Date, if:

  • You remained in California after your parent(s) departed.
  • You enroll in a California public post-secondary institution within one year of your parent(s) departure, and, once enrolled, you maintain continuous attendance in that institution.

Financial independence will not be required in this case.

Minors Who Live With an Adult(s) That is Not Their Parent(s)—Two Year Care and Control

You may be entitled to resident classification if you are a minor (under age 18), a U.S. citizen or eligible alien, and you have been living with and been under the continuous direct care and control of an adult or adults other than a parent for a period of not less than two years. The adult(s) with whom you are living must have been responsible for your care and control for the entire two-year period and must have been residents of California during the one year immediately prior to the Residence Determination Date. See Two Year Care and Control in the UC Residence Policy.

Minors Who Support Themselves

You may be entitled to resident status if you are a minor (under age 18), a U.S. citizen or eligible alien, and you can prove through documentation all of the following:

  • You have lived in California for the entire year immediately preceding the Residence Determination Date.
  • You have been self-supporting for that entire year, and you intend to make California your permanent home.


Any person who is not a citizen or national of the United States, generally classified as a Permanent Resident (Immigrant or LPR), Nonimmigrant or Undocumented Alien.

The one location where a person is considered to have the most settled and permanent connection, the place where he intends to remain and to which, whenever temporarily absent, he has the intention of returning. A person can have only one domicile at a time. A parent accompanying a student to California who fails to relinquish all ties to the former residence does not meet the University’s requirements for residence for purposes of tuition and fees.

A guardianship is a legal relationship created when a person or institution named in a will or assigned by the court to take care of minor children. Residence Deputies may request verification of court-appointed guardianship to determine whether the adult can be a considered in determining the student’s residence for tuition purposes.

If a guardian is appointed for a minor after the death of his parents, the minor will take the residence of the guardian.

Residence Determination Date (RDD)
For quarter-based campuses at the University of California it is the day instruction begins at the last campus to open for the term. For semester-based campuses and schools, it is the day instruction begins at the Berkeley campus.