Filing to Graduate


For information about diplomas, see the Diploma webpage.

Undergraduate Students

To file for graduation, undergraduate students must complete the Online Graduation Application. Students who wish to file to graduate but have been separated from the University for at least three months must contact the Office of the University Registrar.

To provide evidence of graduation and the completion of the degree requirements prior to the formal degree posting to the student record, please refer to the Education Verifications web page.

Graduation Calendar

Undergraduate students must file their graduation application by the appropriate deadline for the quarter in which they are filing to graduate.  Late applications for graduation are not accepted. The application deadlines are as follows:

Term Graduation Filing Period Graduation Cancellation Deadline
Fall Quarter 2017 8/1-9/15/2017 12/8/2017
Winter Quarter 2018 11/8-12/8/2017 3/16/2018
Spring Quarter 2018 2/1-3/16/2018


Summer 2018 6/1-7/27/2018


Term Graduation Date Degree Posting Diploma Distribution
Fall Quarter 2017 12/15/2017 Late February 2018 Late April 2018
Winter Quarter 2018 3/23/2018 Late May 2018 Late July 2018
Spring Quarter 2018 6/14/2018 Late August 2018 Late October 2018
Summer 2018 9/14/2018 Late October 2018 Late December 2018


  • Graduation Date: The official graduation date as it will appear on the academic record.
  • Posting Date: The day your degree is posted to your academic record.
  • Diploma Distribution Date: The date your diploma is available for pick-up or mailing.

Graduation Checklist

  • If you need to declare a change of major, submit your major change petition your college Dean's office at least one quarter prior to the quarter in which you filed to graduate. 
  • See a major adviser to confirm major requirements are satisfied.
  • Request a degree check from the appropriate dean’s office to evaluate university and college requirements at least two quarters prior to graduation.
  • Verify transcripts for all transfer coursework has been submitted to Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation.

Note: This is not an inclusive list. For more detailed information, contact your college:

Canceling Graduation After You Have Filed

Should you need to cancel your application for graduation, return to the Online Graduation Application and select the option to cancel your application.

Commencement Participation

Undergraduates must register to participate in commencement. For commencement eligibility and registration information, visit the Commencement website.

All undergraduate students are required to file and complete the Online Graduation Application to be considered a candidate for graduation. In addition to filing for graduation, students will also want to register to participate in the commencement ceremony.

Graduate Students

Graduate students must contact Graduate Studies for candidacy information regarding filing fee deadlines for Masters and Doctoral Students. Information for degree candidates is available at:

For further information, contact Graduate Studies.

Professional Program Students

Professional program students must contact their program office for information regarding candidacy information: